Of all the various ways that college athletes can take complete advantage of the new NCAA NIL ruling, I believe that creating momentum for their future career will potentially have the biggest impact on their future success, both monetary and in terms of impact.
There is a small percentage of athletes that will turn pro, fewer than 2% of college student-athletes will go on to play professional sports (at any level, for any amount of time). To put it into perspective, 98 percent of college athletes will go pro in something else (you have probably seen the NCAA commercials) and this makes it even more apparent for college athletes to create a brand, share their story, and differentiate themselves from the hundreds of other student-athletes.
So no matter what you do after you complete your career as a college athlete, developing, building, and sharing your potential brand can have a tremendous impact on your career. It doesn’t matter if you are one of the blessed 2% that plays a pro sport or if you go pro in something other than sports, when you build and share your brand, and it is authentic to who you are, it will help you create opportunities in the future.
8 ways building a personal athlete brand will impact your future:
Building your personal athlete brand has the opportunity to:
- Provide complete control and power over your story. You control the narrative of who you are, what you represent, and your future image (beyond athletics).
- Increase your stock to be drafted or signed. Believe it or not, your character is a big factor when teams decide to draft or sign a professional athlete to a contract.
- Add more value to your brand, which can increase your value for future partnerships, sponsorships, and endorsement deals (You can get a jump start on this before you ever sign a pro contract).
- Build a network of community and connections, which can provide opportunities for future job opportunities (no matter what industry).
- Create connections and opportunities to impact the world through social impact and other causes you are passionate about.
- Showcase your expertise, abilities, connections, and interests to open the doors for future opportunities, jobs, partnerships.
- Provide a revenue stream that can allow you to invest in your future success (training, certifications, future schooling, investments, down payments, and more).
- Potentially creating a business that provides you your next career (entrepreneurship).
So as you can see building your athlete brand now, as a college athlete, will not only help short-term success, but it can have a tremendous impact on your future success as well. The new NCAA NIL ruling has created opportunities for college athletes to not only monetize their brand but build a foundation that will have a ripple effect for years to come. The time is now to take action, create your brand, grow your brand, monetize from your brand, and set yourself up for a future of success, on and off the court/field.
Did you enjoy this article? If you did, learn 4 more ways Athletes Can Take Advantage Of The New NCAA NIL Ruling
Work With Us:
With SCI’s athlete branding expertise, we will work side by side with you to develop and grow your brand to maximize fan awareness and loyalty, create a perceived value based on your performance on the court/field and your persona of the court/field; and create strong, favorable, unique partnerships.
Schedule a FREE strategy session with a former college basketball player at Arizona State University, former pro athlete, and SCI creations Athlete Branding Expert and CEO to discuss how you can optimize your platform and talents to get the most out of the new opportunities available for college athletes.